Paddington Town Hall and Paddington Library 1892 - 1940

'The Paddington Town Hall is both a significant heritage building and Paddington's most recognisable landmark. Built on a ridge, the Town Hall's 32 metre high clock tower is clearly visible from the surrounding suburbs as well as the city. The Town Hall, the Post Office, Juniper Hall and the Victoria Barracks constitute an important grouping of heritage buildings that form an 'entry' to Paddington from the city'
Gazzard Sheldon Architects. 1991

View the following gallery of images of the Town Hall and environs from 1891 to 1948.

  1. Architect's drawing, Paddington Town Hall, John Edward Kemp, City of Sydney Archives.
  2. Parkes laying foundation stone at Paddington Town Hall. The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser 1890, November 22
  3. This ribbon was worn by guests at the ceremony to lay the cornerstone for the new Paddington Town Hall. The stone was laid by Premier Sir Henry Parkes. Image courtesy of City of Sydney. Ribbon from City of Sydney Archives CRS1159-0372.
  4. Program and Dance Card with attached pencil. Return Ball to the Mayor and Mayoress of Paddington (Mr and Mrs J white) July 15th, 1892. This card belonged to Ethel Isabel Furness (pictured on the right c1893/4). The card is inscribed on the reverse 'My first Ball at the age of 16 with Mr White the Mayor's son'. Woollahra Libraries Local History Collection MS61.
  5. Paddington Town Hall, Oxford Street Paddington, circa 1900. City of Sydney Archives [A-00014324]. The clock was installed in the tower in 1905.
  6. Paddington Town Hall was extended along the Oatley Road frontage c1923. This image is from the Paddington Council Annual report 1923-1926 shows the extension to the rear of the Town Hall on Oatley Road. From: Woollahra Libraries Local history Collections.
  7. Oxford Street, Paddington looking east from Victoria Barracks towards the Town Hall. Image: NSW State Archives Government Printing Office; NRS 4481, Glass negatives. NRS-4481-3-[7/16052]-St20812.
  8. Paddington Post Office built 1885. 246 Oxford Street, Paddington. Image: Woollahra Council Field Survey 1982. Woollahra Libraries Digital Archive.
  9. Entrance to Victoria Barracks. Image: from Monuments and Memorials in Woollahra', original survey 1987, supplemented 1993/1994, compiled by the Woollahra History and Heritage Society. Woollahra Libraries Digital Archive mm000181
  10. Victoria Barracks, Paddington, 1871 with Toll gate in lower left of image. Image: State library of NSW SPF/24.
  11. Juniper Hall (known as Ormond House between 1831 and 1945), 250 Oxford Street Paddington. This image is dated 1895 when it was the Central Home of the State Children's Relief Department. Image: City of Sydney Archives, [A-00018457].
  12. Paddington Town Hall, cnr Oxford Street and Oatley Road, Paddington circa 1949. A clock was installed in the 32 metre tower in 1905 with funds raised by public subscription. Image: City of Sydney Archives [A-00027176].
  13. Paddington Town Hall Clock Tower. The clock was installed in 1905/. Numerals on the dial face were substituted with 'EDWARDUS THE VII' to commemorate the coronation of Kind Edward VII in 1902.
  14. Mrs Edna Cox, who ran the candy bar in the Town Hall for 30 years until 1965, recalls the wonderful balls of the thirties as the paint goes on the renovated Paddington Town Hall. The postcard reads ‘A HAPPY NIGHT AT THE NEW BALLROOM PADDINGTON TOWN HALL’. 1977. Photograph: Photograph by Robert McFarlane agent Josef Lebovic Gallery, Sydney.
  15. Government Printing Office Ball, 1948. Paddington Town Hall. Image: NSW State Archives: Government Printing Office; NRS 4481, Glass negatives. NRS-4481-3-[7/16130]-St33921
  16. Paddington Town Hall 1949. When the library moved its current location the Oxford Street frontage of the Two Hall was altered. Image: City of Sydney Archives [A-00027175].
  17. Paddington Town Hall c1917 - 1918. City of Sydney Archives A-00021827
  18. Former Paddington Council Chambers on Oxford Street. Designed by architect Thomas Rowe and the foundation stone was laid in April 1864 by the Attorney General James Martin. The building was situated on Oxford Street between Brodie and Young Streets and in 1906, some years after the construction of the new Paddington Town Hall in 1891 it became part of the Royal Hospital for Women site at 88 Oxford Street. The building was demolished in 1947 to make way for a new hospital building. Woollahra Libraries Digital Archive PF008511