Commercial fitness training
Fees and Application Form
If you are interested in using Woollahra's parks and sports fields for commercial or group fitness training activities, an annual registration fee and permit is required.
Permits will be valid for the calendar year (1 January - 31 December), but may be withdrawn if conditions are not complied with.
Note: Council reserves the right not to approve new permits for a given period if complaints arise at a particular park.
Procedure for obtaining a permit
- Fitness trainers and groups are required to submit an application form, Commercial Personal and Group Fitness Training Park Use(PDF, 717KB) , seeking approval to use Council managed public open space for their business. You must also agree to the conditions of hire(PDF, 144KB) .
- The Certificate of Currency showing Public Liability Insurance to the value of $20,000,000 must be attached to the submitted application form. Applicants must hold Public Liability Insurance for the duration of the permit/registration period.
- Payment of the registration fee (which will not be pro-rata for mid year enrolments) must accompany the submitted application form.
- Following receipt of payment a permit will be issued, this permit must be in possession of the applicant on-site at all times.
- Council will contact all registered trainers prior to the end of the calendar year inviting them to reapply for the following year.
Definition of Fitness Training Activities
Personal and group fitness training activities are defined as:
- aerobic activities,
- resistance training (with or without equipment),
- punch pad training (boxing and kick boxing),
- relaxation or lifestyle classes such as yoga or tai chi,
- circuit type classes, or
- any combination of the above.
It does not include ball games or training related to a particular field sport. Use of the fields in these instances, regardless of the size of the group, requires specific sports field hire approval. To apply to use Council managed playing fields please refer to the Sports field hire(PDF, 745KB) application form.
Note: It is at Council's discretion to ascertain whether intended fitness training activities are classified as group/personal fitness training or organised sports training. In some instances, an application for sports grounds casual or seasonal hire may be required.
Parks permitted for fitness training from 6:00am and to be conducted 40m from residential properties
(including noise generating fitness activities such as punch pad training, boxing, use of kick pads and voice commands)
Some areas are excluded from use for personal training and group fitness activities:
- Public Exercise Stations
- Turf Wicket area of Trumper Oval
- McKell Park
- Blackburn Gardens
- Redleaf grounds including boardwalk, stairs and paths, but excluding Swimming Area and Handball Court
- Chiswick Gardens
- Environmentally sensitive areas such as bushland and foreshore areas
- Other areas may be deemed inappropriate from time to time by Council decision, based on demonstrated adverse impacts.