Save water at home
How to save water in your home, pool and garden
Water is a precious natural resource that we often take for granted in Sydney. Each of us has a part to play in using water sustainably. There are many ways you can save water around your home and garden.
In your garden
- Plant locally native species that have adapted to our local climate and soil to help minimise the need for watering. You will find a list of Sydney Eastern Suburbs local native plants here.
Garden design and set up
- Pull out weeds as soon as they sprout so they don’t take water away from your plants.
- Use a broom or rake to move leaves and clean paths.
- Check for any current water restrictions and when restrictions aren’t in place follow the Water Wise Guidelines.
- Water lawns and gardens before 10am and after 4pm using a hand-held hose fitted with a trigger nozzle, sprinklers or standard watering systems.
- Water the roots of each plant rather than the leaves as it’s the water in the soil that your plants thrive on.
- If you’re considering installing or replacing an irrigation system in your garden check these helpful tips from Sydney Water to ensure your system is well designed, programmed and maintained.
- Install a rainwater tank.
In your home
Help reduce water use in your home by careful selection of water fittings and taking care how and when you use them.
- Choose water-efficient showers, toilets, taps, and appliances.
- Take shorter showers. Showering for 4 minutes instead of 10 can save you around 60 litres of water each day.
- Use the half-flush button on your toilet whenever you can.
- Fill your dishwasher and washing machine before starting your cycle. Half loads waste water.
- Fix leaks and install water-efficient devices to save water, energy and money. Check Sydney Water’s WaterFix Residential or WaterFix Strata programs for support.
- For appartments check our Waterwise Apartments Program.
In the pool
Reduce the need to fill your pool up from the tap with these tips.
- Pool covers will reduce evaporation from 40-90% depending on the cover design. Check for rebates offers and cover design quality tips through Sydney Water.
- Having hedges and walls around your pool will create shelter and protect your pool from wind and sun.
- Maintain your pool well by keeping the pool and filters clean so you can reduce the need to backwash the filters.
- Check your pool regularly for leaks.