Lost and found animals
What happens if your pet is lost, hurt or stolen?
If your pet goes missing you have a much greater chance of its return if your pet is microchipped and registered. If your pet is found and is microchipped, our Rangers will contact you and deliver your pet home. If you cannot be contacted for any reason, your pet will be impounded and taken to the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home in Carlton.
If your dog or cat is missing contact our Customer Service Centre on 9391 7000 to check whether your pet has been impounded or call the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home on 9587 9611. You should also contact your local vet to see whether your pet has been handed in.
What should you do if you find a dog or cat?
- Check for an identification tag. If the animal is wearing a name tag, phone the owner; or
- Take it to your local vet; or
- Contact Council to have the animal collected and scanned to see whether it has a microchip
- Ask around the neighbourhood to see if anyone has lost their cat or dog
- You may also take the animal to the pound. Woollahra’s closest pound is Sydney Dogs and Cats Home
- If you can’t find the owner within a reasonable amount of time, you are required by law to contact Council or take the animal to the pound. Failure to do so can incur a fine. People who have lost their animal will check the pound, but they won’t find it in your backyard.