Footway dining approval
Council supports and encourages footway dining as a means of creating a vibrant community and creating opportunities for businesses to grow and prosper.
A footway dining approval is required from Council under section 125 of the Roads Act 1993.
Council adopted a Footway Dining Policy(PDF, 393KB) and Footway Dining Guidelines(PDF, 518KB) on 9 December 2019 and we encourage you to familiarise yourself with these documents.
An application fee of $373 is required. Ongoing rental fees will apply for approved applications, in accordance with Council's adopted fees and charges.
The following supporting documents are required as part of your application:
- Site plan (this must be to scale, must clearly outline the m2 proposed, street furniture, footway clearances and infrastructure), Sample Site Plan: Footway Dining Conditions.(PDF, 155KB)
- Photos of proposed footway dining area, footway slope, furniture, umbrellas and screens (if applicable), etc.
- Copy of Identification (passport or Drivers Licence)
- Approval Holders are required to provide copies of Workers Compensation and Certificates of Currencies for Public Liability to the value of $20M (noting Woollahra Council and Transport for NSW if applicable, as an interested party).
- A separate application to Liquor & Gaming NSW (L&G NSW) is required by Approval Holders in order to extend the licensed area to include the Approved Footway Dining Area.
Once you have gathered your documents, you can apply for a Footway Dining Approval using the form below.
Renew an expired Footway Dining Approval
To renew an expired Footway Dining Approval, please fill out the form here.
Please note: an existing account number will be required to lodge a renewal application. This account number can be retrieved from an invoice previously issued by Council for Footway Dining fees.
Apply for a Footway Dining Approval