Woollahra Library at Double Bay turns 1!
Published: 23 June 2017
Our beautiful Woollahra Library at Double Bay celebrated its first birthday on 28 May 2017. The new Library has proven extremely popular throughout its first year of operations, exceeding all benchmarks and expectations.
In our first year we joined up over 10,000 NEW members (in the year prior we had 1,718 new members), and had almost 600,000 visitors come through our doors (in the year prior we had about 130,000 visits). Borrowings also increased by 58% on the previous year.
Here’s a short video recapping some memories from construction to today! Can you spot yourself in there?
Here are just a few reasons why we believe the new library been so popular:
- We increased the space from 468sqm to 2,234sqm and have a number of meeting rooms and study spaces.
- The beautiful design of the library as a ‘garden within the library’, is warm and inviting (and it’s even won architectural awards – thanks BVN).
- Each level of the library has a different ambiance and purpose. Level 1 is interactive for events and children, Level 2 contains the bulk of our collection and has a state of the art Tech Room and Games Space for young people, whereas Level 3 is a quiet space for study, research and our Local History Collection (or you can just lounge beside the fireplace).
- We offer the latest technology: super-fast free WiFi, 24 PCs and iMacs, Microsoft Surface hub (a collaborative tools with videoconferencing facilities), print from home, self service kiosks accepting Eftpos payments and you can even attend a free Tech Connect training session to update your skills.
- We’ve expended our program of events to include more children’s events, extended hours for HSC trials and exam periods, Maker Creator (for 13-18 year olds) and Mini Makers (for 6-12 year olds), Culture Vulture, Business Bites, Tech Connect and Discover your Local History.
- Everyone can use it! It’s free, in a convenient location and it’s fully accessible with a large lift from the ground floor to all three levels.
Thanks to everyone who helped create, supported us, and visited this amazing space.