- Visit us
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Library app
- Using the library
- Explore our collection
- What's On
- Children's services
- Youth services
- Woollahra Council Plaque Scheme
- Discovering and Rediscovering Woollahra
- World War 1 Remembered
- World War 2 Remembered
- A brief history of Woollahra
- Administrative history
- Mayors and chairmen
- Petition to form the Municipality
- Euroka Reserve, Woollahra
- Proclamation of the Municipality
- Women aldermen and councillors of Woollahra
- Electing the first Council
- First meeting of the Council
- The first Council Chambers
- Council records
- External resources
- Family history
- Local areas
- Local history fast facts
- Oral history
- Searching your property
- Women in Woollahra
- Woollahra's historic landscapes
- Home Library Service
An outline of the administrative events and changes that have occurred and shaped the Woollahra municipality since 1858.
A full list of the mayors of Woollahra since George Thornton was elected the first mayor, then known as chairman, of Woollahra in 1860.
In October 1859 a petition signed with the names of 144 interested locals proposed that 'Darling Point, Upper Paddington, and Watson's Bay' be formed into a municipal district under the provisions of the Municipalities Act of 1858.
For over 80 years Woollahra Council operated from headquarters at the corner of Ocean Street and Jersey Road, Woollahra. Today only a small portion of the original site remains in council ownership.
The Municipality of Woollahra was proclaimed on 20 April 1860 and the first elections were held the following month.
Participation by women as elected representatives of Woollahra did not begin until Council's centenary year. The first woman alderman, Amanda (Belle) Miller was elected in December 1959.
Membership of the first council of the municipality of Woollahra was determined through a process of public nomination and a poll of the district's electors. Woollahra was entitled to nine councillors to hold office for three years.
The first meeting of Woollahra Council was held on 6 June 1860 in the offices of solicitors Rowley Holdsworth and Garrick in the city.
Before moving to its purpose built administration building in February 1864, Council held its meetings in a building known as the Iron House. The building stood at the corner of Ocean Street and Edgecliff Road on land now known as Edgecliff Square.