Footway dining approval
Council supports and encourages footway dining as a means of creating a vibrant community and creating opportunities for businesses to grow and prosper.
The NSW Government has made changes to streamline the approval process for outdoor dining during a trial period from 1 December 2020 to 31 October 2021. During this time, food and beverage business are not required to apply for development consent. However, a footway dining approval is required from Council under section 125 of the Roads Act 1993.
An application fee of $350 is required. Ongoing rental fees will apply for approved applications.
The following supporting documents are required as part of your application:
- Site plan (this must be to scale, must clearly outline the m2 proposed, street furniture, footway clearances and infrastructure), Sample Site Plan: Footway Dining Conditions.
- Photos of proposed footway dining area, footway slope, furniture, umbrellas and screens (if applicable), etc.
- Copy of Identification (passport or Drivers Licence)
- Approval Holders are required to provide copies of Workers Compensation and Certificates of Currencies for Public Liability to the value of $20M (noting Woollahra Council and Transport for NSW if applicable, as an interested party).
- A separate application to Liquor & Gaming NSW (L&G NSW) is required by Approval Holders in order to extend the licensed area to include the Approved Footway Dining Area.
Once you have gathered your documents, you can apply below for a Footway Dining Approval.