Woollahra Libraries are seeking volunteers for a variety of roles in our libraries. Opportunities currently exist in the following areas:
Events and Programs
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to get experience in event style work. Key tasks include:
- The opportunity to contribute to events or programs such as facilitate small group discussions or learning groups, or support children's or youth sessions
- Assisting in the lead up to events with planning, ideas and promotion
- Assisting with the set up and running of an event
Home Library Service
Support those in the community unable to use the library service due to physical disability, ageing or illness with:
- Book selection
- Home deliveries
- Social visits
The Library collects, maintains and preserves records relating to the history and heritage of our area. The role of the volunteer would be to assist the Local History Librarians maintain the collection with duties such as:
- Sorting and filing local history material
- Assisting with the digitisation project
General Library Services
Various opportunities exist to support our libraries and provide excellent customer service, including:
- Shelving and tidying library collections
- Locating missing or reserved items
- Assisting customers with technology
- Data entry
- Writing book reviews
Justice of the Peace
The Justice of the Peace (JP) volunteer will provide an accessible JP service to the Woollahra community. For this role, located within the library, you will need to be a certified JP. Key tasks include:
- Witnessing oaths
- Statutory declarations
- Certifying documents
Can you provide excellent customer service across all Library service points and assist customers with various aspects of information technology? Volunteers in this role will need to demonstrate excellent computer knowledge, strong customer service skills and be comfortable using portable devices and social media. Key tasks include:
- Assisting customers with IT difficulties
- Leading IT assistance workshops
- Attending regular library volunteer meetings
If you're young at heart and like being around little people, you could help us to ensure safe use of the slippery slide within the children’s area of the Woollahra Library at Double Bay and provide excellent customer service to the Woollahra community. Key tasks include:
- Follow safety guidelines of slippery slide, to ensure people safely using the slippery slide
- Communicate positively, politely and confidently
- Enable a fun, engaging environment for people to enjoy the slippery slide while remaining safe
Woollahra Libraries is a great place to explore career options. If you would like to gain exposure to work in public libraries, please contact email@example.com to discuss placement options. We also offer students completing the Duke of Edinburgh Award opportunities to carry out their voluntary service at our libraries.
If you love libraries, people or events and are looking for work experience, or simply wish to give back to the community, then we’d like to hear from you!
View the Position Description Booklet.
To register your interest, please complete and return the Application Form.
For more information please read our Volunteer Policy or contact the Library Volunteer Coordinator on 9391 7938.
Volunteering opportunities also exist at Woollahra Council and in our local area.