Apartment and Strata Energy Savings
Learn what you can do to help make your apartment building more sustainable.
Section 1: Apartment & Strata Energy Savings project - overview and application process.
Section 2: Resources to support Apartment Sustainability Projects including installing solar and electric vehicle chargers.
1. What is Apartment & Strata Energy Savings about?
Apartment & Strata Energy Savings is a free Council initiative to assist strata buildings to reduce energy and water use resulting in potentially thousands of dollars of savings per year.
Council will work with a select number of buildings to identify opportunities to reduce:
- Operating costs.
- Common area energy use.
- Water use.
- Greenhouse gas emissions.
Why get involved?
Buildings selected to participate will receive free:
- Energy efficiency assessments performed by industry specialists.
- Detailed reports clearly illustrating the financial case for upgrades.
- Participation in the Sydney Water Waterfix program.
- Implementation support.
Apartment & Strata Energy Savings has a goal of reducing common area energy use in all participating buildings by 20%.
This is a pilot project with the goal of creating case studies to demonstrate to other strata buildings the benefits of conducting energy efficiency assessments and upgrades.
Who should apply?
We are looking for strata buildings committed to reducing energy use and saving on strata fees. We especially encourage applications from buildings with high energy bills and large communal facilities such as pools, gyms and underground car parks.
We invite interested residents and body corporates to submit an expression of interest to be involved in this sustainability project to save money and reduce energy consumption.
Selection criteria: successful applications will be those whose applications demonstrate high likelihood of implementing energy savings measures, opportunities for emissions reductions and the prospect of providing case studies for buildings with similar facilities.
How to apply
Registrations are now closed. Strata buildings interested in joining future rounds of the project can submit expressions of interest by completing the application form below.
- Interested residents submit expression of interest application.
- Council assesses expressions of interest and determines successful applicants.
- Council organises and funds the energy assessments and reports.
- Body corporate reviews energy saving options and determines implementation.
- Council requests feedback from participants to create case studies to support other buildings interested in energy efficiency upgrades.
- Green Strata - This site is for owners and their owners corporations to learn, find and share information about making apartment buildings more sustainable.
- How to make positive change around your apartment building - This brochure provides a brief overview of opportunities for sustainability upgrades available for apartment buildings and how to go about making these changes.
- Solar in Apartments - Webinar with industry experts and case studies with residents who explain key considerations for installing solar in apartment blocks. Linked slide presentations are also available here: Presentation 1, Presentation 2, Presentation 3.
- Solar in Apartments webinar presented by Wattblock for Inner West Council. Slide presentation available here: slides and resources.
- Solar Readiness for Strata Training from Wattblock - this online course is designed for an Owner, Strata Committee Member, Strata Manager or Facilities Manager to improve their knowledge of solar photovoltaic systems and their use on residential apartment buildings.
- 2021 NSW Strata Legislation amendment - making it easier for body corporates to approve sustainability infrastructure projects. Further details here.
- Guide to renovating or buying a sustainable apartment - Australian Government.
- Alternative Technology Association - Renters guides to sustainability (Homes and apartments).
- Good Practice Guide for Facilities Managers - This guide was developed by the Facilities Management Association of Australia (FMA) to help facilities managers in their role to maintain and sustain their buildings.
- Electric Vehicle Charging in Apartments - Webinar with industry experts and a strata resident who explain how to set up electric vehicle charging in apartment blocks.