Our Environment Our Business
Making your business more sustainable can save you money while reducing your impact on the environment.
Our new sustainability program, Our Environment Our Business supports and showcases local businesses and not-for-profits who are leading the way with sustainability action.
Mud Australia say they're always looking to do things better — be it design, making, workplace, social or environmental. They've taken action on this commitment and recently announced they're carbon neutral. Mud has a store in Double Bay.
Learn how this ceramics business became certified Carbon Neutral.
Why get involved?
- We’ll link you with discounts, services, mentoring and information to help you reduce your energy bills, manage your waste, select sustainable products and reduce your water consumption.
- We’ll help make your sustainability actions more visible by providing opportunities to showcase your business and the steps you’re taking.
How do I get started?
Step 1. Review the material below or download our Business Sustainability Action Pack. Then discuss your situation with our team to consider your current sustainability actions, your future plans and resources available to support you.
Step 2. Make a sustainability action pledge and share your story with us so we can print your certificate, create your social media tile and add you to the sustainability action map. Your pledge might include actions such as:
- We’ve replaced our old lighting with energy-efficient LEDs.
- We’ve switched to paper straws and bamboo cutlery.
- Our staff are walking and cycling to work.
- All our paper products are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
- We’ve upgraded to water efficient appliances.
Step 3. Make your actions more visible by sharing them through your own social media, shop displays and business profile.
How will we share your story?
We’ll help you get the word out about your sustainability action by:
- Creating a tailored sustainability pledge certificate for display at your shopfront
- Making a sharable social media tile that highlights the actions you’ve taken
- Adding your business or organisation to our sustainability action map
- Profiling your business’s sustainability actions in Woollahra Council’s newsletters and social media.
Get started today
- Talk to our Sustainability Team on 02 9391 7000 or send us an email
- Click on the topic headings below to access tips, discounts, services and mentoring support.
How can I save money and reduce CO2 emissions?
Reducing energy use can reduce your costs, improve your business reputation and reduce your impact on the environment.
Actions you can take:
- Purchase GreenPower
- Upgrade your lighting with LEDs and installing motion detectors
- Install new energy efficient hot water systems
- Install solar panels
- Replace your old air-conditioning system with a new energy efficient model
- Replace your old commercial refrigerator with a new energy efficient model
- Negotiate a better energy contract.
Choosing 100% GreenPower is a quick and easy way to get on board with renewable energy if you're renting your premises.
Get discounts with NSW Energy Savings Scheme
The NSW Government is providing free online energy training and funding energy coaches to give your business a one-on-one check-up and help you cut energy bills. See the details on the Energy Saver website.
The NSW Energy Savings Scheme (ESS) cuts electricity and gas use by creating financial incentives for businesses to be more energy efficient. It does this by making it cheaper for you to invest in an upgrade project to reduce your energy use.
Save energy by installing LED lights
The scheme helps businesses replace old lights with new LED lights. The cost of the LED lights and the fee for installation is subsidised through an upfront discount from the installer. For example, if your business changes 50 halogen downlights to LED downlights, you can save up to $2,300 a year. Head over to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment business rebates website and enter your postcode to find an approved supplier in your area.
Air conditioner and commercial refrigerator upgrades
Discounts also apply for upgrading to more energy efficient air conditioners and commercial refrigerators through the Energy Savings Scheme.
Learn more about saving energy:
- We’ve switched to 100% GreenPower
- We’ve replaced our old lighting with energy-efficient LEDs
- We’ve installed solar panels on the rooftop
- We’ve developed a clean energy strategy
- We’ve upgraded to more energy efficient air-conditioning
How can I reduce waste?
Managing waste has become an important topic in recent months with many businesses looking for opportunities to maximise recycling and minimise waste going to landfill. Did you know roughly 70% of the things in a business’ general waste bin can be reused or recycled? Good waste management can save your business money while caring for the environment.
Actions you can take:
- Access the NSW Government's Bin Trim program that provides free help and support to businesses
- Add recycling services to your waste contract
- Find an organic waste collection service in your area
- Review your supply chain to source more recyclable products
- Conduct a waste audit at your business
- Dispose of your e-waste through drop-off or collection services.
Learn more about improving your waste management:
For Cafes and Pubs
Responsible Cafes aims to reduce single-use waste by nurturing a culture of reuse and change behaviour.
Bye Bye Plastic have practical tips to help your businesses can reduce single use plastic items.
Sustainable Salons is a social enterprise that redirects salon waste from landfill.
- We send 80% of our waste for recycling
- We’ve reduced our waste by…
- Our organic waste goes to…
- We have a worm farm for waste from our staff
How can I reduce single use plastics and select more sustainable products?
Actions you can take:
- Look for ways to reduce plastic packaging
- Check suppliers in the Bye Bye Plastic Sustainable Suppliers Guide
- Review the Sustainable Procurement Guide
- Select products recognised by Good Environmental Choice Australia
- We’re committed to reducing single-use plastics by switching to paper straws
- Our paper/bamboo/timber products are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- The packaging we select can be recycled within Australia
- We assess the environmental and social impact of products including…
- We buy products that use recycled materials including…
How can we be more water efficient?
With water restrictions in place across Sydney, now is a good time to reduce your business’ water use.
By reducing water usage, your business can:
- Reduce costs and find efficiencies
- Reduce the environmental impact of your business
- Improve the reputation of your business.
Actions you can take:
- Assess your water use through Sydney Water's WaterFix® program
- Review Sydney Water business tips
- Check water ratings on products
- Choose Water Smart products
- Review NABERS water ratings
- We’ve upgraded to water efficient dishwashers
- We’ve installed a smart watering system to minimise use of water on our garden
- We’ve planted natives in the garden
- We’ve installed water tanks
View our Business Sustainability Action Map
Our map showcases the sustainability actions and commitments local businesses are making. You'll find businesses that are certified carbon neutral, recycling hair, reducing fashion waste, implementing coffee cup return schemes, reducing plastics and installing solar panels.
Email us if you'd like to add your business to the map.