Becoming an Australian citizen is a very special occasion and is something to celebrate.
Australian Citizenship represents formal membership of the community of the Commonwealth and is a common bond, involving reciprocal rights and obligations, uniting all Australians, while respecting their diversity.
The ceremony is the formal part of the Citizenship process. You become an Australian citizen on the date you attend the citizenship ceremony and make the Pledge of Commitment to Australia.
What to bring
Once you have received your letter from the Department of Home Affairs inviting you to attend a Citizenship Ceremony at Woollahra Council, please be sure to bring along your letter and a current form of photo identification such as a driver’s licence or passport.
What to wear
Woollahra Council acknowledges the importance of your citizenship ceremony by hosting an event and providing you with a complimentary photograph as a memento of the occasion.
Our dress code for everyone attending the event is smart casual. You are welcome to wear more formal attire if you would like to.
Scheduled dates for 2021
- Tuesday, 26 January 2021 (by invitation only)
- Saturday, 20 March 2021 (by invitation only)
- Wednesday, 5 May 2021 (by invitation only) *postponed*
- Wednesday, 19 May 2021(by invitation only)
- Wednesday, 9 June 2021 (by invitation only)
- Wednesday, 30 June 2021 (by invitation only) *postponed*
- Wednesday, 28 July 2021 - Online event (by invitation only)
- Tuesday, 10 August 2021 - Online event (by invitation only)
- Wednesday, 11 August 2021 - Online event (by invitation only)
- Tuesday, 24 August 2021 - Online event (by invitation only)
- Wednesday, 25 August 2021 - Online event (by invitation only)
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions on social gatherings, Woollahra Council is currently holding online ceremonies in lieu of hosting face to face events.
Our staff will contact you if you are included in the latest list of candidates that are ready to be processed. This list is issued by the Department of Home Affairs.
Please note that Council only host the ceremonies.
Our online ceremonies are limited in numbers of conferees to allow for the required ID checking and visual proof of the pledge being made by each new Australian citizen.
To enquire about your ceremony date, conferees or their legal representatives should contact the Department of Home Affairs or call the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880.
For further information regarding Australian citizenship including ceremonies, applications or general enquiries visit the Citizenship website or contact the Department of Home Affairs on 131 880.