Local history fast facts - N
This information has been provided by the Local History Centre and the Woollahra History and Heritage Society.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
NAVIGATION MARKERS - On the South Head Peninsula. There are three groups: the first group (ca 1857) comprises a stone obelisk on Laings (Green Point) and another on the southern shore of Parsley Bay (No. 65 Fitzwilliam Road) which when lined up give a bearing on the South Reef, 300 m. west of Inner South Head. The second is an obelisk near Sassafras Lane, Vaucluse (ca. 1838) which when lined up with the South Head Lighthouse gives a bearing on Sow and Pigs Reef - it is painted white with a red saw-tooth pattern. The third group comprises two leadlight towers, one on the shore (No. 80 Wentworth Road, Vaucluse) and the other up on the hillside (No. 12 Wentworth Road, Vaucluse), both carrying red lanterns which, when lined up, give a bearing on the Eastern Channel. There are many dotting the harbour also.
NELSON STREET, Woollahra - was named after Lord Horatio Nelson (Viscount Nelson) British naval commander at Trafalgar.
NEW SOUTH HEAD ROAD - Initially a foot track (see 'Maroo') to South Head, the New South Head Road was designed by Surveyor-General Thomas Mitchell as an alternative shorter route to South Head than the Old South Head Road. Mitchell also saw it as a scenic drive that would 'open a constant succession of the most beautiful and picturesque scenery of Port Jackson'. The road was built from 1834.
NIELSEN PARK - In 1911, the N.S.W. Government resumed the Bottle and Glass/Nielsen Park portion of what remained of the Vaucluse (Wentworth) Estate for public recreation - the area was administered for many years by the Nielsen - Vaucluse House Trust. The Park was named after the Hon. N.R.W. Nielsen, the Secretary (Minister) for Lands (1910-11).
NULLA STREET, Vaucluse - originally known as Eulalie Street. Named changed in 1935.