Conditions of Entry
This award celebrates and recognises the best new contemporary literature in Australia, highlighting innovative and forward-looking writers and publishers.
- The Woollahra Digital Literary Award invites submissions of poetry, fiction and non-fiction, as well as multimedia and hybrid works first published in a digital format for consideration for the 2023 Awards.
- These are the formats required for entry: an .epub, .pbd, .mobi/azw, .ibooks or .pdf file from a known e-book vendor or platform (such as iBookstore, Google Play, Amazon, Bookworld, Kobo, Baker & Taylor or Overdrive). A live URL from an online magazine, journal or website with an editorial selection process.
- If you have submitted work to an online journal, website or a digital platform run by an individual or group who makes careful and considered decisions about what work is published, your entry will be eligible for judging. This is a prize for professional writers that recognises the high quality of writing published digitally. It is not an open call for self-published submissions.
- Short listed applicants are strongly encouraged to provide permission for their entry to be included in the Library’s E-Content Management Platform for the hosting, circulation and digital rights management of e-content to its Authorised Users.
- Poetry submissions are capped at 3,000 words. Fiction and Non-Fiction submissions are capped at 30,000 words with a minimum of 3,000 words required. Submissions to the Digital Innovation category are capped at 30,000 words. Longer works will be considered if a sample of 1-2 chapters can be provided for judging.
- Applicants must include contact details for an editor or publisher with their submission. Editors of shortlisted works will be contacted for verification.
- Entries accepted for selection must be the original work of the submitting author, must not have been submitted for entry to the Woollahra Digital Literary Award before, and must have been published in a digital format after the date 30 May 2021.
- Entries must be written in English (or be an original translation into English).
- Entries accepted for selection must be submitted by authors that are over 16 years of age and are Australian Residents.
- All entries must be submitted electronically, via a live URL or in PDF format.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Entries will be judged to select, in the opinion of the judges, the best entry in the following four categories:
- Fiction ($2,500)
- Non Fiction ($2,500)
- Poetry ($1,000)
- Digital Innovation ($1,500)
- Entrants may submit work to multiple categories, but only one entry can be submitted by each entrant in the Fiction, Non-Fiction and Poetry categories. A separate entry form must be completed for each entry, but an entry can be considered for both Fiction, Non-Fiction or Poetry and Digital Innovation. If a winning entry has been submitted by multiple authors, the prize money awarded is awarded per entry (not per author).
- Winners for the 2023 Woollahra Digital Literary Award will be announced at an award presentation at Woollahra Libraries - Double Bay, Sydney NSW on Thursday 23 November 2023.