Walking your dog
Where to walk your dog
Taking your dog for a walk is the perfect way to have fun and stay fit. It is also an effective way to reduce barking problems and socialise your dog.
Whether you want your dog to have a run off the lead or you want to take them for a swim, Woollahra has somewhere for you and your dog to enjoy.
You must keep your dog on a lead at all times when in public unless in a sign-posted off-leash area. The penalty may exceed $330.
Remember to take a bag or two to pick up your dog's poo because no one likes stepping in it. The penalty may exceed $275.
Dogs are welcome at many different parks and reserves in Woollahra. The information below outlines where dogs are allowed off-leash, on-leash and areas where they are prohibited.
|Suburb||Park||Off-leash times||Prohibited areas|
|Darling Point||Yarranabbe Park||At all times||Children's playground|
|Double Bay||Steyne Park (Northern End)||At all times (except during organised sailing events)||Children’s playground|
|Double Bay||Lough Playing Fields||Between 4:30pm – 8:30am|
|Double Bay||Lower Cooper Park||Between 4:30pm – 8:30am|
|Paddington||Royal Hospital for Women Park||Between 3:30pm – 10:30am||Prohibited 10am – 8pm Sundays|
|Rose Bay||Dumaresq Reserve||Between 4:30pm – 8:30am|
|Rose Bay||Rose Bay Foreshore (between Dumaresq Reserve and Percival Park)||At all times|
|Rose Bay||Lyne Park||Between 3:30pm – 10:30am|
|Rushcutters Bay||Rushcutters Bay Park||Between 3:30pm – 10:30am||Children’s playground|
|Vaucluse||Christison Park||Between 3:30pm – 10:30am|
|Vaucluse||Lighthouse Reserve||At all times|
Where dogs are allowed at all times on a leash
Dogs are permitted in the following Council-owned parks and reserves at all times, but only on a lead.
|Bellevue Hill||Bellevue Park|
|Bellevue Hill||Cooper Park|
|Darling Point||Darling Point Reserve|
|Double Bay||Steyne Park|
|Paddington||Trumper Park (excluding the Oval playing surface)|
|Paddington||Harris Street Reserve, Paddington|
|Rose Bay||Woollahra Oval (excluding the playing surface) & Playing Fields|
|Rose Bay||Rose Bay Park & beach|
|Vaucluse||Samuel Park, Vaucluse|
|Vaucluse||Signal Hill Reserve, Vaucluse|
|Watsons Bay||Camp Cove Reserve|
|Watsons Bay||Gibsons Beach – only permitted on lead on footpath||Beach and reserve|
Where dogs are prohibited at all times
There are some parts of our local area where dogs aren’t allowed.
Dogs are generally prohibited, by the Companion Animals Act 1998, from the following public areas:
- children's play areas - dogs must not enter a playground and must be a minimum of 10 metres from any playing equipment provided for children.
- food preparation/consumption areas - dogs must be a minimum of 10 metres from any area where food is prepared or consumed unless the food is being consumed in an outdoor dining area. In this case, a dog is permitted to be in the area as long as it is leashed, on the ground, and is not fed by the owner. If the outdoor dining area is within an off-leash dog park, the dog is permitted to be unleashed, fed, and sit on the owner's lap as long as they do not make contact with any utensils or the table and chairs.
- childcare centres, school grounds and shopping complexes.
In addition, Council has prohibited dogs, even from being on lead from the following parks, reserves and public places:
- Blackburn Gardens, Double Bay
- Murray Rose Pool, Double Bay
- Double Bay Beach, Double Bay
- Percival Park, Rose Bay
- Gap Park, Watsons Bay
- Robertson Park, Watsons Bay
- Chiswick Gardens Reserve, Woollahra
- McKell Park, Darling Point
- Parsley Bay Reserve, Vaucluse
- Nielsen Park, Vaucluse
- Trumper Park Oval playing surface
- Gibsons Beach - dogs permitted only on lead on the footpath
- Woollahra Oval playing surface
- Tingira Memorial Park and beach, Rose Bay