Walking your dog
Where to walk your dog
Taking your dog for a walk is the perfect way to have fun and stay fit. It is also an effective way to reduce barking problems and socialise your dog.
Whether you want your dog to have a run off the lead or you want to take them for a swim, Woollahra has somewhere for you and your dog to enjoy.
You must keep your dog on a lead at all times when in public unless in a sign-posted off-leash area. The penalty may exceed $330.
Read more about responsible dog ownership and our off-leash areas
Remember to take a bag or two to pick up your dog's poo because no one likes stepping in it. The penalty may exceed $275.
Dogs are welcome at many different parks and reserves in Woollahra. The information below outlines where dogs are allowed off-leash, on-leash and areas where they are prohibited.
|Suburb||Park||Off-leash times||Prohibited areas|
|Darling Point||Yarranabbe Park||At all times||Children's playground|
|Double Bay||Steyne Park (Northern End)||At all times (except during organised sailing events)||Children’s playground|
|Double Bay||Lough Playing Fields||Between 4:30pm – 8:30am (except during organised sport events)|
|Double Bay||Lower Cooper Park||Between 4:30pm – 8:30am|
|Paddington||Royal Hospital for Women Park||Between 3:30pm – 10:30am||Prohibited 10am – 8pm Sundays|
|Rose Bay||Dumaresq Reserve||Between 4:30pm – 8:30am|
|Rose Bay||Rose Bay Foreshore (between Dumaresq Reserve and Percival Park)||At all times|
|Rose Bay||Lyne Park||Between 3:30pm – 10:30am||Children's playground|
|Rushcutters Bay||Rushcutters Bay Park||Between 3:30pm – 10:30am||Children’s playground|
|Vaucluse||Christison Park||Between 3:30pm – 10:30am|
|Vaucluse||Lighthouse Reserve||At all times|
|Woollahra||Moncur Reserve||Trial during first half of 2022 - Between 3.30pm - 10.30am|
Feedback can be provided to Council by email to email@example.com or by telephone to Council’s Open Space Planning Team Leader on 9391 7000
|Basketball hoop section of Reserve|
Where dogs are allowed at all times on a leash
Dogs are permitted in the following Council-owned parks and reserves at all times, but only on a lead.
|Bellevue Hill||Bellevue Park|
|Bellevue Hill||Cooper Park|
|Darling Point||Darling Point Reserve|
|Double Bay||Steyne Park|
|Paddington||Trumper Park||Oval playing surface|
|Paddington||Harris Street Reserve|
|Point Piper||Lady Martin Beach|
|Rose Bay||Woollahra Oval & playing fields||Oval playing surface|
|Rose Bay||Rose Bay Park & beach|
|Vaucluse||Signal Hill Reserve|
|Watsons Bay||Camp Cove Reserve||Camp Cove Beach|
|Watsons Bay||Gibsons Beach – only permitted on lead on footpath||Beach and reserve|
Where dogs are prohibited at all times
There are some parts of our local area where dogs aren’t allowed.
Dogs are generally prohibited, by the Companion Animals Act 1998, from the following public areas:
- children's play areas - dogs must not enter a playground and must be a minimum of 10 metres from any playing equipment provided for children.
- food preparation/consumption areas - dogs must be a minimum of 10 metres from any area where food is prepared or consumed unless the food is being consumed in an outdoor dining area. In this case, a dog is permitted to be in the area as long as it is leashed, on the ground, and is not fed by the owner. If the outdoor dining area is within an off-leash dog park, the dog is permitted to be unleashed, fed, and sit on the owner's lap as long as they do not make contact with any utensils or the table and chairs.
- childcare centres, school grounds and shopping complexes.
In addition, Council has prohibited dogs, even from being on lead from the following parks, reserves and public places:
- Thornton Reserve, Bellevue Hill
- Blackburn Gardens, Double Bay
- Murray Rose Pool, Double Bay
- Double Bay Beach, Double Bay
- Moncur Reserve, Paddington
- Royal Hospital for Women Park, Paddington (Sundays ONLY between 10am-8pm)
- Percival Park, Rose Bay
- Camp Cove Beach, Watsons Bay
- Gap Park, Watsons Bay
- Robertson Park, Watsons Bay
- Chiswick Gardens Reserve, Woollahra
- Plumb Reserve, Woollahra
- McKell Park, Darling Point
- Parsley Bay Reserve, Vaucluse - dogs permitted only on a lead on the bridge and paved footpaths providing access to the bridge from Fitzwilliam Road and The Crescent.
- Derby Street Reserve, Vaucluse
- Trumper Park Oval playing surface
- Gibsons Beach - dogs permitted only on lead on the footpath
- Andrew Petrie Oval playing surface, Rose Bay
- Tingira Memorial Park and beach, Rose Bay