You told us your thoughts - here’s what we did…
Published: 24 August 2017
In our last annual satisfaction survey conducted in August 2016, many (over 1000!) of you took the time to give us some valuable feedback. Our Library Manager, Vicki Munro, read every single comment and the information was passed on to relevant staff for review and implementation over the year.
Overall satisfaction levels were extremely high with over 90% of respondents rating library customer service and their overall library experience as ‘good’ (23%) or ‘very good’ (68%).
Here’s a summary of some of the main improvements raised, and what we’re doing to improve:
Many of you wanted more…
- copies of popular titles (fiction and non fiction books)
- Talking Books
- Books for kids
- eBooks, eMagazines and eMusic
To improve this we’re now buying more copies (and increased our budget for many parts of the collection), plus we offer the following:
- ‘Quick browse’ collection on Level 1 of Woollahra Library at Double Bay where you can drop in to find multiple copies of all our most popular titles and borrow them for 3 weeks. More of these same titles are available on Level 2 if you have more time to explore.
- ‘Fast reads’ is our collection of popular titles, which can only be borrowed for 1 week to keep them circulating to more people.
- 'Reservations' - If the book you want is still not available you can reserve a copy (for a small fee), and we’ll notify you when it’s next available, and hold it for you.
- Online library – we’re expanding our digital collection so you can download even more eBooks/eAudiobooks, eMagazines, eMusic, language learning and more.
Don’t forget, you can also search our online catalogue before you visit to check if we have the book you want:
Many of you weren’t aware of our vast range of online services (all FREE). Here’s a quick run down:
- Member services: renew your loans, update your contact details and lots more.
- Online databases: access a huge variety of resources covering health, news, books, science and more
- eBooks, eAudiobooks: download free to your tablet, mobile or computer
- eMagazines: download free to your tablet, mobile or computer
- eMusic: download free to your tablet, mobile or computer
- Local History Digital Archive: explore our digital archives
- Your Tutor: online tutoring assistance
- Learn a language or online computer training
- Book a room
- Book a computer
- Catalogue search: check if we have the item you’re looking for before you come in or reserve an item
- Ask the library: ask us a question anytime, request an item and more
- Pay online: add funds to your 'tap and go' library card to pay for printing, room bookings, overdue fees and more
- Print from home: no need to carry a USB, simply upload your files from home or your device and print them when you arrive at the library
Need help? All three of Woollahra Libraries host a weekly Tech Connect session with one-on-one assistance provided.
Many of you asked about downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks onto your Kindle.
Unfortunately there is NO Kindle eBook lending platform available to Australian public libraries. The Kindle is a proprietary product sold by Amazon. Without it being available, we simply cannot offer such a service.
Many of you felt the Library Catalogue could be improved. We definitely agree, and we will be forwarding the survey feedback to our vendor. Don’t forget staff can also assist you to maximise the catalogue’s many features such as:
- 'Customers Who Searched for this Item also Searched for...'
- Links to the database Novelist plus for readalikes and more author and title information
- Links to Amazon, Google Books and Library Thing, which gives book reviews
- It has hot links to help refine your search
- A 'new items' search facility
- A 'Did you mean...' list of suggestions for misspelt terms.
TIP: The catalogue indicates if a title is available and its location, but you need to go a step further by clicking on the title to find further information.
Events and programs
We offer a diverse range of events and programs to meet the needs of our community. The survey showed that many of our customers are unaware of the variety of our programs. Here are our top tips for staying up to date:
- Sign up for our monthly e-newsletter – get event updates delivered straight to your mailbox
- Grab one of our printed ‘What’s On Guides’ from any of our libraries
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter
- Explore the full range of programs on the What’s On section of our website anytime
Timing of events was another area of feedback and we are working on improving this on an ongoing basis. We now offer a Saturday Storytime for those who can't make our mid-week sessions.
There were a number of suggestions for new programs and we will take all your feedback on board when reviewing our programming for 2018.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to complete the last survey. We value your feedback and are always working on ways to improve.
Take our new survey!
We've just opened our 2017 survey. Tell us your thoughts and go in the draw to WIN one of 3 double movie passes.