Local history fast facts - K
- Visit us
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Library app
- Using the library
- Explore our collection
- What's On
- Children's services
- Youth services
- Woollahra Council Plaque Scheme
Paddington Library - sparking curiosity for 130 years
- Paddington Town Hall and Paddington Library 1892 - 1940
- The Librarians 1892 – 1940
- Frank Green Library 1952 - 1977
- Bohemian Paddington and beyond
- Paddington Library - Your stories
- Discovering and Rediscovering Woollahra
- World War 1 Remembered
- World War 2 Remembered
- A brief history of Woollahra
- Administrative history
- Mayors and chairmen
- Petition to form the Municipality
- Euroka Reserve, Woollahra
- Proclamation of the Municipality
- Electing the first Council
- First meeting of the Council
- The first Council Chambers
- Council records
- External resources
- Family history
- Local areas
- Local history fast facts
- Oral history
- Searching your property
- Women in Woollahra
- Woollahra's historic landscapes
- Home Library Service
This information has been provided by the Local History Centre and the Woollahra History and Heritage Society.
KAMBALA - Demolished house that was in present day Mansion Road, Bellevue Hill. The property of some 13 acres (5.3 ha.) was leased from Daniel Cooper - part of the 1130 acre grant - by Walter Lamb in 1879. The house was built in 1880, portion of the property is now occupied the Scots College Preparatory School which acquired the site in 1922. The house was used by the College up to 1969 when it was demolished to make way for extensions to the Prep School. The name is believed to be of Indian origin meaning 'Hill of Flowers'. see Kambala Girls School.
KAMBALA GIRLS' SCHOOL - New South Head Rd, Rose Bay. The school was established in 1884 at Fernbank, Edgecliff Rd by Miss Louisa Jane Gurney and, in 1887, in partnership with Mme Soubeiran, moved to the house Kambala in Bellevue Hill, set in 13 acres, from which the school took its name. The property was bought by an American speculator in 1913 and the school transferred to Tivoli in Rose Bay, motto Esto Sol Testis (Let the sun be your witness), colours French Grey and Primrose.
KENT HALL - Located at the corner of New South Head Road and Vickery Avenue, Rose Bay, it originally was the sick bay for lads of HMAS Tingira. In 1937 it, a timber framed structure, was refurbished and subsequently named the Kent Hall in honour of the Duke of Kent who was nominated Governor-General of Australia, 1938 but did not proceed - WWII intervened and he was killed in an air crash in 1942. In 1947, a club was established on the site which in 1951 became the Rose Bay RSL Club. The building was demolished when the brick RSL building was put up in 1959.
KERSWORTH PREPARATORY SCHOOL. The school was located in Dover Road, Rose Bay, the present unit block, Lynton, occupying the playground and classroom block while No. 24 was the Principal's house - the school closed in the early 1930's.
KILMORY - 6 Wentworth Street, Point Piper, Built in 1912 (MANSON) for Sir Alexander MacCormick, surgeon and a member of Sydney University Medical School. Occupied during WWII by RAAF Eastern Command, later Riverview College then becoming a Franciscan Retreat.
KILVINGTON - No 313 Edgecliff Rd, Woollahra. A Victorian Regency stone house occupied by Mr Charles Lamb for many years - subdivided in 1925.
KUTTI BEACH - from the Aboriginal name for Watsons Bay: Kooti.