Build Sustainably in Woollahra
Visit Council's Building and Development section to get advice and tips on:
Install solar panels
With increasing electricity prices and decreasing costs of solar energy, now is a great time to join over two million Australian households that have a rooftop solar system.
Install a rainwater tank
Installation of a rainwater tank is generally quick and easy and residents are not required to lodge a development application (DA) if tanks:
are above ground with the capacity not exceeding 10,000 litres;
are located behind the building line or in the rear yard of a property containing a heritage item;
do not require cut and fill of more than 1m below or above existing ground level, and;
are 450mm from each lot boundary where the tank exceeds 1.8 metres in height.
To find out more about installing a rainwater tank, come in and chat to our Duty Planner in Customer Service or call 9391 7000.
Make your block more sustainable
Learn what you can do to help make your apartment building more sustainable.
Do it right on site
The Southern Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils and the Natural Heritage Trust have published a basic guide Do it right on site (PDF) and the following factsheets to assist home owners, builders and trades understand the basic precautions that our development consents and environmental laws demand:
- Diversion of Upslope Water (PDF)
- Dust Control (PDF)
- Early installation of Roof Drainage (PDF)
- Excavation Pump Out (PDF)
- Protected Concrete, Brick and Tile Cutting (PDF)
- Protected Concrete Delivery (PDF)
- Protected Service Trenches (PDF)
- Protected Stockpiles (PDF)
- Protected Wash Areas (PDF)
- Protected Waste Management and Chemical Storage (PDF)
- Protecting Vegetation (PDF)
- Protection of Gutter and Street Stormwater Drains (PDF)
- Protection of Site Stormwater Pits (PDF)
- Sediment Controls (PDF)
- Soil and Water Management Plans (PDF)
- Stabilised Site Access (PDF)