Cooper Park is a large bushland reserve with many walking tracks and recreational facilities available.
36 Suttie Road, Double Bay
- Car parking and vehicle access from Bunna Place (off Suttie Road)
- Multiple pedestrian access points available (see Park layout below)
- Picnic area
- Tennis courts Ph: 9389 3100 (owned by Council and leased to an external operator)
- Cricket pitch and practice nets
- Playing field
- Public phone
- Walking paths
Dogs are permitted on a leash at all times with the exception of the turfed sports ground adjacent to Suttie Road where dogs are permitted off leash between 4:30pm and 8:30am.
- Accessible toilet next to the tennis courts cafe
Cooper Park's worth as a recreation area was recognised as far back as 1885 when the Government was asked to purchase land from the Cooper Estate for recreational purposes. It was not until 1913 that Sir William Cooper agreed to give the whole of the gully from Victoria Road, Bellevue Hill to Manning Road, Double Bay to the Council as a park. Subsequent additions over the years have brought the Park up to its present area of 38 acres (15 ha.)
The creek running though the Park is largely natural and follows the line of a volcanic dyke of Jurassic age while the hillsides support a wide variety of native trees and shrubs. Development over the years included extensive walking tracks/paths, with shelter sheds built and picnic areas laid out.
Plans of Management
The Cooper Park Plan of Management is currently being updated in readiness to be placed on public exhibition. Prior to this being undertaken Council sought to re-categorise certain areas of Cooper Park to better reflect the current and intended use.
Under Section 40A of the Local Government Act, a public hearing is required if a Plan of Management will re-categorise certain areas of land covered by the Plan. A public hearing was held on the 4th December 2008 at the Cooper Park Community Hall.
- Field layout (PDF)