Coronavirus (COVID-19): how we are responding. Message from the Mayor of Woollahra, Councillor Susan Wynne.
The safety of our community and our staff is Council’s number one priority.
We ask that everyone follows the Australian Government's social distancing requirements. Crime Stoppers NSW is the nominated reporting agency for the public to provide information to police about individuals, businesses and corporations not complying with public health orders relating to COVID-19. Breaches can be reported by phone 1800 333 000 (24/7) or online.
In these unprecedented times, Council’s response strategy involves appropriate action to help reduce the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) by implementing changes to best help our community – in particular, elderly and vulnerable residents and our staff to get through the uncertainties we are all facing.
This is the action we have taken to minimise the likely impact of the virus on the community and businesses and a summary of changes to our services:
- We have launched relief measures for small businesses in the local area to ease the economic impact of COVID-19 on businesses and workers. Our announcement of relief measures, valued in excess of $5 million, follows the recent economic support packages from the Australian Government and State Government.
- Parking meters in commercial centres have been turned off to support the local businesses and community.
- Prior to any directive from the State Government, we worked with local supermarkets and shopping centres to ease restrictions on delivery times to allow their stock to be quickly replenished.
Closures and changes to our services
- In response to social distancing requirements, we have closed all our beaches and harbourside pools.
- Whilst our Customer Service Centre is closed, we are still here to help. You can call 9391 7000 for all service requests, or lodge an online service request.
- All Council libraries are closed. Our library staff are available on 9391 7100 and email firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out all our amazing online resources.
- Woollahra Preschool is closed.
- Council events have been cancelled and event hire spaces are closed.
- Fitness stations and playgrounds are closed.
- Our DA and application assessment staff are working remotely. There may be some delays experienced.
- Only essential site inspections will be completed.
- Outdoor and operational services are continuing and will be reviewed regularly.
- Council's critical service and emergency staff are still working on site. Most of our staff are now working from home.
- Waste, recycling and organics collection will continue as normal. We are unable to provide our paid household clean-up collection or e-waste collection service at this time.
I would like to acknowledge the many wonderful offers of help that we have had from our community. Thank you to everyone who has contacted us.
We are in regular contact with local community organisations who may require our assistance or help. Holdsworth need personal protective equipment - masks and gloves - to help them with the important support they are providing to elderly, isolated and vulnerable members of our community. Donated unused and sealed supplies can be delivered to Holdsworth, 64 Holdsworth Street, Woollahra. We will provide call-outs for help via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Looking after your mental health is important in difficult times. Find out more on Head to Health's support page.
Many local businesses and supermarkets have implemented strategies to ensure elderly and vulnerable members of our community and health and emergency workers are able to access vital goods and services. These are important initiatives and I thank our business community for introducing them.
I also want to thank Council’s General Manager Gary James, our Directors and all Council staff for their commitment during this difficult time.
Please keep informed about COVID-19 and important information from NSW Health and the Australian Government Department of Health. Service NSW can help with all government information and services 24/7 on 13 77 88.
Get the latest updates from the Australian Government's WhatsApp channel, Coronavirus Australia app (available from the Apple App Store and Google Play) or National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.
Thank you for your understanding and patience, and please remember to be kind to each other. Stay well and safe. If you need extra support, help is available.
Councillor Susan Wynne
Mayor of Woollahra
Useful support resources
Woollahra News e-newsletter
Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter Woollahra News and get updates delivered straight to your inbox.