Level 2 water restrictions in effect from 10 December 2019
Published 2 December 2019
Level 2 water restrictions will come into effect from 10 December 2019 – this is when it is estimated dam levels will drop to 45%. Level 2 means tighter restrictions to help secure our drinking water supply.
Greater Sydney, just like regional areas across NSW, is experiencing severe drought conditions, which the Bureau of Meteorology expects to continue with a hot, dry summer. The restrictions apply to everyone in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and the Illawarra. This includes all residents and businesses.
Water restrictions target outdoor water use, but there are some indoor water uses that are subject to restrictions, such as filling indoor swimming pools and water features, and operating car wash businesses in shopping centre car parks.
The biggest changes for outdoor water use are:
- you can only use a watering can or bucket to water your garden before 10am and after 4pm
- you can only use drip irrigation or smart watering systems for a max of 15 mins per day before 10am and after 4pm
- you need a permit to fill new or renovated pools and spas of more than 500L capacity
- you can only top up existing pools or spas to replace water lost through evaporation. You must use a hose with a trigger nozzle, watering can or bucket for a maximum of 15 minutes a day.
- you can only wash your vehicles with a bucket and sponge or at a commercial car wash.
For breaches of restrictions, fines will continue to apply - $220 for residential and $550 for businesses. Exemptions are available for businesses and industries that rely on outdoor use through the Sydney Water website.
Woollahra Council will be adapting our watering procedures to adhere to the following restrictions:
- Watering of public general turf areas is allowed on one day per week for a maximum of 30 minutes per week per watering area.
- Use of sprinklers is permitted only on continuous public turf areas greater than 30 sq meters for a maximum of 30 minutes per week using a timer to control watering duration.
- Overspray or runoff onto hard surfaces is not allowed.
- Allowable water time is before 10am or after 4pm.
If we all do our bit and save a little, together we'll make a big difference.
Read about changes with the Level 2 water restrictions.
Woollahra News e-newsletter
Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter Woollahra News and get updates delivered straight to your inbox.