Help make our places great! Placemaking grants now open
Jo Lockey working on the Perry Lane Art Project, a 2019/2020 Placemaking grant recipient.
Published 30 June 2020
The Placemaking Grants Program for 2020/21 opened on 1 June 2020.
Our Placemaking Grants program is about supporting business to enhance the experience of visitors to our shopping and commercial areas and contribute to them being vital public destinations.
The program provides grants up to $7,500 for owners of commercial properties, business owners/operators and not-for-profit organisations who provide an activity or program that contributes to our commercial centres being vital public destinations.
Placemaking projects include but are not limited to projects and activities which complement our own services and identified priorities in the areas of community focused economic development. Examples may include:
- Public art projects
- Promotion of shopping and commercial areas
- Rejuvenation of shop fronts
- Footpath displays, trading and dining
- Activating vacant shop fronts
- Footpath theatre - musical/theatrical
- Other things interactive, inspiring, innovative and unique.
Please read our Placemaking Grants Policy and Placemaking Grants Program: Guidelines and Selection Criteria for information about the program.
The threat of the spread of COVID-19 has resulted in unprecedented impacts on businesses and our commercial centres.
While the priority strategies for the Placemaking Grants Program remain, we welcome applications for innovative programs that will assist businesses during this crisis.
We recognise that project delivery may be restricted due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and associated social distancing requirements. Programs could be delivered online or via other innovative platforms that observe social distancing restrictions. Applicants are encouraged to submit innovative and inspiring projects that respond to these uncertain times. Also, social distancing restrictions are constantly changing and projects that now may not be allowed possibly will be by the end of the period, i.e. 30 June 2021.
The Placemaking Grant application form includes questions asking applicants to demonstrate how the project and/or activity can be delivered in a COVID-19 environment.
The Woollahra community’s kindness and compassion shown for each other and ongoing support for local businesses - from cafes, restaurants and shops, to purchasing locally online or sharing positive stories on social media – has been vital during these unprecedented times.
In what has been a challenging period for all, Woollahra Council is proud to have helped ease the economic impact of COVID-19 through relief measures for small businesses in our area valued in excess of $5 million, launched in March.
Measures introduced have included:
- Rent relief for 6 months for all small business tenants of Council-owned businesses
- For the same period, no fees charged to any small business in the local government area for health, hygiene, licensing and fire safety inspections.
- A waiver on all outdoor and footpath dining fees 6 months – now extended until December
- Parking meters were switched off to provide relief for both customers in local commercial centres and to assist with overflow caused by extra demand being experienced as a result of working from home practices
Applications open: Monday 1 June 2020
Applications close: Friday 10 July (midnight) 2020
Grants announced: mid September 2020
Apply for a Placemaking Grant
Woollahra News e-newsletter
Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter Woollahra News and get updates delivered straight to your inbox.