Level 2 water restrictions for residents and businesses commenced on 10 December 2019 and are now enforceable with fines.
- Gardens can only be watered before 10am or after 4pm with a watering can or bucket
- Smart and drip irrigation systems may only be used for 15 minutes before 10am or after 4pm
- The use of unattended hoses is no longer permitted
- Hosing of hard surfaces is not permitted, unless in an emergency
- Cars can only be washed with a bucket or at a commercial car wash
- A permit is required before filling a pool of any size.
Fines of $220 apply for residents and $550 for businesses who don’t follow the restrictions.
For full details about the restrictions visit the Sydney Water website or call 13 20 92.
Report someone misusing water
If you see someone deliberately misusing water, you can report a possible breach to Sydney Water.
Exclusions and exemptions
Exclusions apply for:
- Sources of water that are not restricted such as bore, recycled, tank water or grey water
- Uses of water for which there is no practical alternative, such as firefighting
Exemptions are available for some business and industries that rely on outdoor water use for critical activities as part of their business. If you need an exemption you will need to apply online.
Water Saving Tips
Water is a precious resource, so we shouldn’t waste it. There are many simple things you can do around your home and garden every day to use water efficiently. Tips to save water
Sydney Water has advice on services to fix leaks and install water efficient devices.