Planning proposal for Ian Street and Wilberforce Avenue Car Parks, Rose Bay
Woollahra Council exhibited a planning proposal in relation to Ian Street and Wilberforce Avenue Car Parks, Rose Bay.
The planning proposal amended the land use zoning, height and floor space ratio (FSR) controls in Woollahra Local Environmental Plan 2014 as follows:
Ian Street Car Park
- rezone the land from Special Purpose Zone Infrastructure (Car Park) to Business Zone - Local Centre,
- allow ‘residential flat building’ as an additional permitted use on the site
- increase the maximum building height from 10.5m (3 storeys) to 14.1m (4 storeys),
- apply a floor space ratio of 2:1 (none currently applies).
Wilberforce Avenue Car Park
- increase the maximum building height from 14.1m (4 storeys) to 17.2m (5 storeys).
In summary, these changes facilitate a four storey building on the Ian Street Car Park site and a five storey building on the Wilberforce Avenue Car Park site.
Council's initial assessment of the planning proposal was reported to the Urban Planning Committee (UPC) and subsequently Council resolved to publicly exhibit the proposal.
Public exhibition details
Public exhibition of the planning proposal was held from Wednesday 26 April until Friday 2 June 2017. The key exhibition documents are provided below:
Part 1 - Planning proposal and supplementary information
- Planning proposal
- Annexure 1 - Report to the Urban Planning Committee of 13 February 2017
- Annexure 2 - Council resolution of 27 February 2017
- Annexure 3 - Report to Corporate and Works of 18 July 2016
- Annexure 4 - Report to Corporate and Works of 18 April 2016
- Annexure 5 - Council resolution of 26 April 2016
- Annexure 6 - Urban Design Study Report
- Annexure 7 - View Impact Assessment
- Annexure 8 - Geotechnical report
- Annexure 9 - Assessment of Traffic and Parking Implications
- Annexure 10 - Photomontages of the concepts under the proposed planning
Part 2 - Gateway determination and authorisation
On 21 May 2018, the Council considered the recommendation of the Environmental Planning Committee (EPC) and resolved:
- THAT Council proceed with the planning proposal for the Ian Street and Wilberforce Avenue car parks in the Rose Bay Centre to amend Woollahra Local Environmental Plan 2014 as exhibited, and proceed with the preparation of the draft LEP.
- THAT Council exercise its delegation authorised by the Director, Metropolitan (CBD) Planning Services, Department of Planning and Environment, on 15 September 2015, to carry out the functions of the Greater Sydney Commission under section 3.36 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
- THAT the following matters raised in the submissions in relation to the indicative concept which formed part of the planning proposal be addressed in the architectural design and the statement of environmental effects which must accompany a future development application(s) for the development of the car park sites:
- Acoustic Design
- Carparking and Servicing
- Tree retention and replacement
- THAT any future development proposal go before a public meeting where the presentation can be made directly to the public meeting and to allow the public have the right to respond prior to lodgement of a DA.
- THAT any further Development Proposal considers the delivery of affordable housing with 30 percent of residential accommodation be affordable housing and staff prepare a further report on the delivery of affordable housing.
- EPC report (7 May 2018) (PDF)
- Staff presentation given to the Committee
- Council resolution (21 May 2018) (PDF)
The amended planning controls came into effect when the Woollahra Local Environmental Plan 2014 (Amendment No 9) (PDF) was notified on the NSW Legislation website on Friday 8 June 2018.
For more information contact Richard Pearson, Development Manager - Strategic Properties on 0400 438 458.