Planning proposal for Gaden House, 2A Cooper Street, Double Bay
Woollahra Council exhibited a planning proposal in relation to Gaden House, Double Bay. Gaden House is located at 2A Cooper Street, Double Bay (also known as 24-26 Bay Street, Double Bay) and is legally known as Lots 11 and 12 DP 4606.
The objective of the planning proposal is to amend Woollahra Local Environmental Plan 2014 (Woollahra LEP 2014), to list Gaden House, including its interiors, as a heritage item. Heritage listing will provide ongoing protection and recognition of the heritage significance of the building and interiors.
To enable this objective the planning proposal seeks to amend Woollahra LEP 2014 in the following manner:
- Insert a listing for Gaden House, including its interiors, in Part 1 Heritage Items of Schedule 5 Environmental Heritage.
- Amend the Heritage Map (Sheet HER_003A) to identify a heritage item on the site of Gaden House at 2A Cooper Street, Double Bay.
The gateway determination does not authorise Council as the local plan-making authority to make the LEP.
Public exhibition material
Public exhibition of the planning proposal was held from Wednesday 27 February to Friday 29 March 2019. The key exhibition documents are provided below:
- Planning proposal - February 2019
- Planning proposal - Appendix 1 - Council notice of motion 12 February 2018
- Planning proposal - Appendix 2 - Heritage Significance Assessment – 4 September 2018
- Planning proposal - Appendix 3 - Local Heritage Data Form - September 2018
- Planning proposal - Appendix 4 - State Heritage Data Form - September 2018
- Planning proposal - Appendix 5 - State Heritage Register Nomination Form - September 2018
- Planning proposal - Appendix 6 - Submission on behalf of the land owner by Heritage 21 - 12 July 2018
- Planning proposal - Appendix 7 - Submission on behalf of the land owner by Heritage 21 - 7 August 2018
- Planning proposal - Appendix 8 - Response to Heritage 21 submission - 28 August 2018
- Gateway Determination
- Woollahra Local Planning Panel - Agenda - 13 September 2018
- Woollahra Local Planning Panel - Minutes - 13 September 2018
- Environmental Planning Committee - Agenda - Report - 15 October 2018
- Environmental Planning Committee - Annexure 1 - Planning proposal - October 2018
- Council - Minutes - 29 October 2018
On Monday 15 April 2019, a report on the public exhibition was considered by Council’s Environmental Planning Committee (EPC).
The report is available on Council’s website
On 29 April 2019, Council considered a report on the matter, and resolved:
- THAT Council proceed with the planning proposal for Gaden House, 2A Cooper Street, Double Bay, to amend Woollahra Local Environmental Plan 2014, as exhibited, and proceed with the preparation of the draft LEP.
- THAT Council request the Minister for Planning, or their delegate, to make the LEP to list Gaden House as a heritage item under Woollahra Local Environmental Plan 2014.
- THAT Council request the Director Planning & Development to consider whether an Interim Heritage Order should be made for the subject property.
A full copy of the Council minutes can be viewed on Council’s website.
In response to the resolution, Council requested that the Department of Planning and Environment prepare a draft LEP for approval by the Minister for Planning.
On Friday 6 September 2019, Woollahra Local Environmental Plan 2014 (Amendment No 11) for “Gaden House” at 2A Cooper Street, Double Bay (Lots 11 and 12, DP 4606) was notified (gazetted) on the NSW Legislation website. The amendment lists “Gaden House” as local heritage item number 681, in Schedule 5 of the Woollahra LEP 2014. View the Woollahra LEP 2014 amendment.
For more information contact Council’s Strategic Planners on 9391 7087.