Sustainability is at the top of our priorities when it comes to managing waste in Woollahra. This means we are committed to providing services and promoting initiatives that will increase recycling and minimise and/or avoid waste in the first place.
Landfill is not a sustainable option for our future and has contributed to the introduction of toxic substances to our environment, rise in greenhouse emissions and wasted resources in the forms of water, minerals and energy.
Find out more about our services and what you can do to become waste-wise.
By reducing waste and recycling as much as possible using all of Council's services, including our most recent Kitchen to Compost (PDF) food recycling service we can:
- Reduce greenhouse emissions generated by organics in landfill
- Save valuable resources like organics and recyclable from going to landfill
- Conserve natural resources and lessen our demand for forestry products, minerals and oil.
- Minimise the consumption of energy and water required to manufacture new products
- Contribute to the creation of new environmental industries and markets for recycled products
- Reduce the polluting impacts of landfill which can contaminate soil, air and water
- Save landfill space for items that have exhausted their potential to be recycled.
- Reduce our overall impact on the environment.
If you are already recycling as much as you can by using Council's services, remember, there is always more you can do to avoid and reduce waste. Here are some tips:
- When shopping, buy only what you need and plan meals to avoid wastage
- Buy items that can be re-used and have a long life like rechargeable batteries.
- Buys items that have been made with recycled content and/or with recyclable packaging
- Less is best, so minimal or no packaging is even better. This will save space in your garbage bin for more deserving waste items.
- Try to refuse plastic bags where possible.
- Having a party? Hire one of our FREE special event recycling bins to ensure all your glass/plastic bottles and cans are recycled.
- Use a compost bin or worm farm at home to reduce organic waste and create rich organic fertiliser for your garden.
- Avoid junk mail. Pick up a 'No Advertising' sticker for your mailbox from our Customer Service Centre.
- Woollahra's Guide to Re-use and Recycling (PDF): Make an effort to re-use items in good condition. See .
- Natural cleaning (PDF): Find out more about natural cleaning and reducing chemicals in the home.