Standby power can account for up to 10% of household energy use. Home office and entertainment appliances are the worst offenders. Switch appliances off at the power button or, better still, switch them off at the wall.
- Install an energy efficient hot water system (e.g. solar)
- Install energy efficient light globes
- Maximise the use of natural light
- Switch off lights when not in use or when you leave a room
- Use timers or sensors on outdoor lights
- Insulate the ceiling and walls of your home
- Wash you clothes in cold or warm water
- Dry your clothes in the clothes line rather than in the dryer
- Switch off appliances when not in use
- Get rid of your second fridge. Learn more about the Fridge Buyback scheme
- Switch to Green Power and have your electricity supplied from renewable energy sources.
Learn more energy saving tips from Energy Australia