Postcard of Rushcutters Bay, early 20th century
Boats sheds built at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries line the shores of Rushcutters Bay. Reclamation around the bay took place during the 1880s with the building of a sea wall in 1889. The Naval Brigade formed in 1863 as a volunteer force comprising the Naval Brigade and the Naval Artillery Volunteers moved from Fort Macquarie to Rushcutters Bay in 1901. The drill hall and other buildings constructed for the brigade are visible behind the boat sheds. The Rushcutters Bay baths were built c1898 and demolished in 1974.
White City Amusement Park, 1913
An amusement park known as White City was established at Rushcutters Bay along New South Head Road next to the Sydney Stadium in 1913. The park operated during the summer months until it closed in 1917. Spread over an area of 10 acres were artificial lakes and mountains, a miniature Japanese Village and a variety of rides and other amusements. During its opening week in December the park attracted a crowd of some 50-60,000.