A chronology of the legislature and instruments which affected the boundaries, administration and constitution of Woollahra from 1858.
The proclamation established Woollahra as a municipality under the terms of the Municipalities Act (1858), defined the geographical limits of the municipal district, and established the name of the local government area.
The inaugural elections for the councillors of the municipality of Woollahra took place in May 1860, and the first meeting of Woollahra Council was held in solicitor’s offices in Elizabeth Street.
Some significant administrative and practical activities carried out by the new council during its first year of operations.
A timeline of key events that shaped the municipal history of the Woollahra district.
The Municipalities Act of 1858 encouraged residents and landholders to join together to propose the incorporation of their area as a local government entity.
A seal was first commissioned for the Council in 1860; updated in 1907 and again in 1962.